Folgers and I had an interesting conversation today about the stupid things girls do. Why do we, as chicks, do slutty things with dudes who we don’t really like, but make the guys we really like wait before we put out? Really, why do we do that? This all came up when we were talking about the terrible date I went on with Bob the Builder over the summer. For the life of him, he couldn’t understand why I would make out with a guy I had zero intention of seeing again. The response of “it seemed like a good idea at the time,” didn’t quite do the trick. He was even more confused when I announced I typically don’t kiss someone on the first date.
- Folgers: Wait a second, so you kissed this douche bag, but you don’t usually kiss someone on the first date.
- Me: Yes, that’s right.
- Folgers: So why would you kiss him?
- Me: I don’t know. I guess we were both there and I had needs or something.
- Folgers: But you didn’t plan on seeing him again?
- Me: Yes.
- Folgers: What on earth would you have done if you liked him??
- Me: Nothing.
- Folgers: Wait. So if you had liked him you wouldn’t have done anything with him but since you didn’t like him you made out with him all over Philadelphia?
- Me: That’s about right.
- Folgers: You realize that makes zero sense, right?
- Me: It makes sense to me.
- Folgers: I think you’re retarded.
You know what? He has a point. Why do we do that? As I think back to what I was thinking when I kissed Bob the Builder, I really have no idea why I would kiss him when I wasn’t sure whether or not there would be a second date. Isn’t that sending mixed singles? But I guess I didn’t really care.
Meanwhile, if I had really liked him, I never would have let him kiss me. Why? Because I wouldn’t want him to think I was that kind of a girl. Even though, clearly, I totally am. It just doesn’t make sense. The only thing I can come up with is as women we give ourselves in different way. God knows. I’m thinking this one might keep me up at night.